Each year our annual Youth Ocean Conservation Summit at Mote Marine Laboratory empowers students from across Florida and the country with the knowledge, resources, and support needed to launch ocean conservation projects to protect marine ecosystems in their local communities.
To expand the reach of this program, and provide additional leadership opportunities for young people, we’ve launched a series of satellite Youth Ocean Conservation Summits. These events are planned and implemented by teams of students, working in partnership with aquariums and conservation organizations across the country. Each of these events shares components with the annual Youth Ocean Conservation Summit in Sarasota, FL, focuses on unique marine and aquatic ecosystems around the country, and provides young people nationwide with the opportunity to take action to protect the ocean. Youth participants attending these events will also be connected to resources and opportunities throughout the year through the Youth Ocean Conservation Team network.
Stay tuned for details on satellite Youth Ocean Conservation Summits coming in 2022!
Interested in hosting your own satellite Youth Ocean Conservation Summit? Contact us to learn more and consider attending the 2021 Youth Ocean Conservation Summit on Saturday, December 4!
A special thanks to our host organizations and partners, as well as student planning teams who have brought Youth Ocean Conservation Summits to the following cities over the past seven years:
- Annapolis and Baltimore, MD - hosted by the National Aquarium
- Seattle, WA - hosted by the Seattle Aquarium
- Savannah, GA - hosted by the University of Georgia Marine Extension Service and Georgia Sea Grant
- Newport, RI - hosted by the Mystic Aquarium and National Marine Educators Association Conference
- Long Island, NY - hosted by Coastal Steward, New York Sea Grant, and Stony Brook University
- Pine Knoll Shores, NC - hosted by the Center for Marine Sciences and Technology at NC State University and the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
- New York City, NY - hosted by the New York Aquarium
- Corpus Christi, TX - hosted by the Texas State Aquarium
- St. Louis, MO - hosted by the St. Louis Zoo
- Virginia Beach, VA hosted by the Virginia Aquarium
- Marathon, FL - hosted by Mote Marine Laboratory's Research-based Afterschool Program for Students